One-and-a-half storey stone house, L-shape, large porch, south addition
Type of building/structure/object – Two-storey residential farmhouse built in 1920 by owner.
Owners (original, former, current) – In 1851, Henry Munro and his wife purchased Lots 5 & 6, Concession II, Ottawa Front; Henry Munro sold wood products to G.M.L. & C.L., Fellowes. In March 1874, Lot 5 was subdivided into two 100-acre lots and Onésime Roy became the owner of the western lot. In 1886, he gave 50 acres of the northwestern part of his own lot to his son, also named Onésime. Married to Victoria Éthier, Onésime Roy Jr. died at a young age; Victoria then wed Joseph Lauzon in 1901. After Victoria’s death in 1915, Joseph wed Marie-Louise Roy, who was Victoria’s daughter from her first marriage to Onésime Roy Jr. In 2916, they had a son named Henri. In 1951, Henri wed Délisca Robinson. They built themselves a house near Joseph Lauzon’s house. This new house’s address would eventually be 1401 Henri-Lauzon Street. Henri and Délisca Lauzon ended up selling the remainder of the land to a project developer.
Design or physical value (description of each structure, materials, anything unusual or rare, especially its architecture)
Beautiful two-storey, L-shaped house with a large front porch and a gabled roof; the latter’s two gables are joined into one another at a 90-degree angle. The wooden frame of the house is covered with homemade square stones decorated with the owner’s personal design. The asphalt shingle roof’s white cornices match the porch’s white railing. The windows and doors are new but their original concrete sills and headings remain. The facade features two doors, one leading into a kitchen to the west and the other into living and dining rooms to the east. In the eastern part of the house, a central stairway leads to the upper floor and its four bedrooms.
Two notable features of the house are its central heating system (from a coal furnace located in the basement) and access to drinking water (a pump connected the kitchen from the well). In 1920, these were both very innovative and uncommon systems and therefore, they were the envy of the community. A shed with an entrance to the basement used to flank the south side of the house; it was used to store the harvests. It has since been replaced with a much more modern version, one with aluminium siding and a gabled roof.
The property once included a wooden barn, a stable, and a henhouse. One summer, the barn got destroyed in a fire caused by a particularly violent thunderstorm; neighbours and volunteers from Orléans helped build a new one.
Buildings of little heritage value on site
Historical or associative value (brief history or historical references)
This house belonged to a family that was known for its gardening prowess. They had a much sought-after stall at the Byward Market; its fresh and diverse offerings were very popular. Eggs and poultry could also be purchased at the farm itself. Moreover, a sugar bush located near the creek running through their property allowed them to sell maple syrup come maple season.
Contextual value (description of the surroundings: cultural or natural landscapes and landmarks)
Now urban, this was a prolific, fertile, and flourishing agricultural property.
Comité des sites patrimoniaux : Colette Côté, Guy Legault, Françoise Miller
Auteure : Colette Côté (2018)