Type of building/structure/object
Small farmhouse and old shed
Owners (original, former, current)
Henry Munroe and his wife purchased the entire Lot 5 from the Crown in October 1803. The land was then sold to several other owners including Joseph Vézina and his wife, the G.B.L. Fellows company, Sheriff Fraser, Hugh Wilson, Peter A, Eigleson, and Charlotte F.A. Lane. Finally, the property was bought by brothers Robert and Georges Wilson, who in 1883, sold 100 acres on the eastern part of the land to Joseph Boyer, father and son. (Reference: list of owners, Gloucester register). Later, 50 acres of the southeast portion were sold to Paul Boyer. (See site CN01 – 1898 Chain Court). In September 1901, the land was sold as follows: 3 acres of the northern part to Louis Brisebois and 97 acres to Louis Perrault, husband of Mary Ellen Holden. Following the death of her husband, Ellen rented the property to several tenants including a man named Desjardins who raised his large family in this little house. In February 1949, the estate of Mary Ellen, who died without a will, was sold to Alexandre Glaude of Cyrville. He subdivided the property into lots all along Boyer Road. When his wife Mrs. Rollande Glaude became a widow, a more modern house closer to Boyer Road was built for her. (See picture.)
Design or physical value (description of each structure, materials, anything unusual or rare, especially its architecture)
The first 1½-storey house was built of wood, with a gable roof covered with shingles. Houses built similar to this one were referred to as “maisons allumettes,” meaning “matchbox houses.” They were christened that way because those houses were inhabited by factory workers. Our sources do not provide the names of those who built the house. However, we assume Louis Perrault probably built it as it is identical to the one his father built at the corner of Renaud and Navan road.
Buildings of little heritage value on site
Historical or associative value (brief history or historical references)
This property was cleared by the G.B.L. Fellows company known for having logged several properties in Orleans. Joseph Boyer, father and son, operated this farm for eighteen years. They built the road later named Boyer Road. It was the first road linking Innes Road (formerly known as St-François Road) and Montreal Road. In 1901, Louis Perrault bought the farm to settle down and raise his family. Louis married Mary Ellen Holden in Orléans on February 12, 1907. They had five daughters including Lyla (Côté) and Myrtle. Both became teachers who worked at Dolman Ridge School, south of Blackburn, as well as at St. Joseph’s School in Orléans.
During the Second World War, the Canadian government built a radio station on the highest site along Boyer Road. This radio station (Army Signal Station) remained in operation until more modern communications were made available.
Contextual value (description of the surroundings: cultural or natural landscapes and landmarks)
This wooded land was cleared to become an agricultural land in a suburban area. Today, Boyer is an important artery road in Orléans since it is crossed by Jeanne-d’Arc and St-Joseph Boulevard facilitating both north-south and east-west bound traffic.
Comité des sites patrimoniaux : Colette Côté, Guy Legault, Françoise Miller
Auteure : Colette Côté (2018-2019)