Arthur Parisien

Arthur Parisien



Street or road #

Type of building/structure/objectFarmhouse and outbuildings

Owners (original, former, current)This 200-acre property used to belong to Jean-Baptiste Corbeil, who had divided it into two properties of 100 acres each and sold 50 of those acres to Alfred Morin. Mr. Morin bequeathed his land to his son Antoine Morin. After having lost his wife in a car accident and having raised all his children, Antoine sold his land to Arthur Parisien in 1941. Arthur was the son of William Parisien and Exilda Duford, both from Orléans. After marrying Priscilla Bisson, Arthur and his wife moved to Detroit (Michigan, USA) where he worked for some time. Both of his sons, Laurent and Richard, were born in Detroit.

In 1949, in order to complete the installation of overhead power lines which could provide electricity to the surrounding farms along Innes Road, the Hydro Electric Power Corporation of Ontario acquired an easement for the construction of a tower on the land.

In 1954, Arthur divided the frontage of his land into three lots. He gave each of his two sons a lot to build a house and kept the third one for himself.

In 1956, Arthur sold his land to Milford Scharf and Edward Smith. They were buyers for the Canada Cement Company, which wanted to relocate south of Innes Road to extract the rock from the land and make cement.

Design or physical value (description of each structure, materials, anything unusual or rare, especially its architecture)

A one-and-a-half storey single-family residence with a gabled roof and a main entrance on the gabled end. This house included a smaller second part at the rear that was framed in a similar style as the main house, in neo-classical style. It consisted of a covered porch adorned with posts. All the exterior walls were covered with shingles. Beside the house, there was a large three-door curing barn as well as a barn, a chicken coop and a shed. They formed a right angle in the backyard.

Buildings of little heritage value on site

The three modern houses: those of his two sons and his retirement house. Laurent, his eldest son, founded his own company which manufactured various cement products.

Historical or associative value (brief history or historical references)

During his stay in Detroit, Arthur worked as a welder but became a farmer upon his return to Orléans. He was the first to raise turkeys in Orléans. Thanks to his initiative, the traditional turkey dinner at Christmas took root in Orléans.

From 1949 to 1964, Arthur was elected councillor and became deputy reeve for the municipality of Gloucester. It was during this time that the Police Village of Orléans, chaired by Lucien Gauthier, got the first electric streetlights on St. Joseph Boulevard as well as financial aid to develop three new streets: Notre-Dame, Rocque and Gabriel. They also installed a rainwater sewer system on Saint-Pierre Street. Thanks to Arthur’s involvement with the town council, Orléans benefited from several other improvements such as its first fire station and firefighting water pump, the asphalt paving of Belcourt Boulevard and Innes Road, road snow removal in winter, a police station, a health unit, the creation of Gloucester Hydro, and a new City Hall.

Design or physical value (description of each structure, materials, anything unusual or rare, especially its architecture)

Arthur Parisien’s property was among the many beautiful agricultural farmlands found along Innes Road. His land hid a source of solid rock under approximately four feet of topsoil. Arthur was proud of his property and even though it was located in a rural district, his landscaping was that of an urban property, with its pretty pine trees and picnic area in front of the house. Today, the property no longer exists. In its place is the Food Basics Ltd. supermarket, the Landmark Cinema as well as the Movati Athletic Club – Orléans.


Comité des sites patrimoniaux : Colette Côté, Guy Legault, Françoise Miller

Auteure : Colette Côté (mai 2019)


Available documents


Do you have any information or changes to suggest for this heritage site?